This document sets out the basic constitution for our club, and also refers to our Code of Conduct & the England Athletics Welfare policy.
The club will be called Waverley Harriers Running Club and will be affiliated to England Athletics. The club kit will be a yellow Waverley Harriers logo on a blue vest or T-shirt.
2. Aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of the club are to:
- provide opportunities for trail, road and track running in Godalming, Farncombe and the surrounding area.
- create a supportive, welcoming atmosphere with an emphasis on the social and health benefits of running.
- offer regular sessions for club members.
- offer athletics provision for juniors.
- encourage participation in local & team running events.
- promote running within the wider local community.
- ensure a duty of care to all members of the club, and provide services in a way that is fair to everyone.
3. Club Equity Statement
This club is committed to ensuring that equity is incorporated across all aspects of its development. In doing so it acknowledges and adopts the following Sport England definition of sports equity:
Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the culture and structure of sport to ensure it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society.
- The club respects the rights, dignity and worth of every person and will treat everyone equally within the context of their sport, regardless of age, ability, gender, race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexuality or social/economic status.
- The club is committed to everyone having the right to enjoy their sport in an environment free from threat of intimidation, harassment and abuse.
- All club members have a responsibility to oppose discriminatory behaviour and promote equality of opportunity.
- The club will deal with any incidence of discriminatory behaviour seriously, according to club disciplinary procedures.
Membership will consist of officers and members of the club. All members will be subject to the regulations of the constitution and by joining the club will be deemed to accept these regulations and codes of conduct that the club has adopted. Members take part in all activities at their own risk. See the club website for current membership categories.
5. Membership fees
Membership fees will be set annually and agreed by the Club Committee or determined at the Annual General Meeting. See website for current membership fees.
Fees will be paid annually using England Athletics online payment mechanism. Membership is renewed from 1st April and must be paid by 30th June.
Prospective new members are encouraged to try up to 3 of the regular club training sessions as a non-member. Thereafter they will be required to join in order to participate in club activities and receive the full benefits of membership.
Parents of Junior members are welcome to attend club wide events, meetings and social gatherings.
6. Officers of the club
The officers of the club will include the following positions:
- Chair Person
- Membership Secretary
- Welfare Officer
- Community Officer
- Communications Officer
- Seniors Team Captain
- Juniors Team Manager
- Juniors Welfare Officer
The core Executive Committee will consist of the Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer & Membership Secretary, as a minimum for maintenance of the club. Other positions may vary and be added to as the club develops.
Officers will be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting. In the case of an officer standing down during the course of the year, the committee will seek to appoint a replacement officer for formal appointment at the next available AGM.
All officers will retire each year but will be eligible for re-appointment.
7. Club Committee
- The club will be managed through the Club Committee consisting of the above officer positions.
- Only officers of the club will have the right to vote at meetings of the Club Committee.
- The Club Committee meetings will be convened by the Secretary of the club and held no less than 4 times per year.
- Any officer missing 3 committee meetings in a row will be considered as standing down from their post at the next AGM, if the committee so decides.
- The quorum required for business to be agreed at Club Committee meetings will be 50% of appointed committee positions + 1. Decisions will be taken based on a majority vote of those present.
- The Club Committee will be responsible for adopting new policy, codes of conduct and rules that affect the organisation of the club.
- The Club Committee will have powers to appoint sub-committees as necessary and appoint advisers to the Club Committee, from the general membership, as necessary to fulfill its business.
- The Club Committee will be responsible for disciplinary hearings of members who infringe the club constitution or code of conduct. The Club Committee will be responsible for taking any action of suspension or discipline following such hearings.
All club monies will be banked in an account held in the name of the club. The Club Treasurer will be responsible for the finances of the club. The financial year of the club will end on 31st August.
The statement of annual accounts will be presented by the Treasurer at the Annual General Meeting.
Any electronic bank transfers or cheques drawn against club funds should hold the signatures of two approved club officers.
9. Annual General Meetings
Notice of Annual General Meetings (AGM) will be given by the Club Secretary for the AGM to be held in October/November. Not less than 21 clear days notice to be given to all members.
Nominations for officers of the Club Committee will be sent to the Secretary at least 14 days prior to the AGM.
An agenda will be circulated at least 7 days in advance of the AGM, with a note of those standing down as officers and those seeking election/re-election. Elections of officers are to take place at the AGM.
The AGM will receive a report from officers of the Club Committee and a statement of the audited accounts.
All senior & honorary members have the right to vote at the AGM. The quorum for AGMs will be 20% of the club’s adult membership.
The Club Committee has the right to call Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs) outside the AGM. Procedures for EGMs will be the same as for the AGM.
10. Discipline and appeals
All concerns, allegations or reports of poor practice/abuse relating to the welfare of children and young people will be recorded and responded to swiftly and appropriately in accordance with the club’s Safeguarding Children’s Welfare Policy. The club Welfare Officer is the lead contact for all members in the event of any safeguarding or child protection concerns.
All members are expected to follow the rules of this constitution and the codes of conduct of the club.
All complaints regarding the behaviour of members should be presented and submitted in writing to the Welfare Officer or Secretary.
The Club Committee will meet to hear complaints within 28 days of a complaint being lodged. The committee has the power to take appropriate disciplinary action including the termination of membership.
The outcome of a disciplinary hearing should be notified in writing to the person who lodged the complaint and the member against whom the complaint was made within 7 days of the hearing.
There will be the right of appeal to the Club Committee following disciplinary action being announced. The committee should consider the appeal within 14 days of the Secretary receiving the appeal.
A resolution to dissolve the club can only be passed at an AGM or EGM through a majority vote of the membership. In the event of dissolution, any assets of the club that remain will become the property of a charity to be nominated at an AGM/EGM.
12. Amendments to the constitution
The constitution will only be changed through agreement by majority vote at an AGM or EGM.
Waverley Harriers hereby adopts and accepts this constitution as a current operating guide regulating the actions of members.
Signed: Date: 03/04/2022
Name: Neil Bossey
Position: Club Chairman
Signed: Date: 03/04/2022
Name: David Elder
Position: Club Secretary
Pdf version: Waverley Harriers Club Constitution 2022