Now a regular monthly feature, we want to hear from the Waverley Harriers and see what motivates them. Each month we ask the nominated club member the same questions. So far we have heard from Steve Rogers and Ruth Lyon, and now this month we hear from Ali Rand who was nominated by Ruth. Ali recently completed her first marathon and her answers below provide a great read.
1. When did running begin for you? I started running properly about two years ago, I had done the odd 5K before then but never dreamt I would do any long distance runs or even run further than around Broadwater Park!
2. Why do you run? Initially, I ran to lose weight and get fit. Now I run for enjoyment, to see the countryside, to socialise with friends and to reach goals I never knew where achievable.
3. What race or moment in your running career holds the most significance and why? The Great North run in September 2013 was particularly significant for me. I ran this is memory of my auntie and I rose over £1000 for Cancer Research UK. I found the whole experience truly moving, inspirational and the atmosphere was fantastic.
4. Who is your running inspiration? Sounds a bit cheesy but I would have to say my husband. He is a keen rugby man and works hard to maintain his fitness. He is very motivational and supportive. Our honeymoon was to Berlin while I ran my 1st marathon he supported in the crowds with a bike and some beers!
5. What event, past or present, would you like to take part in and why? I would love to do the Cotswold Way Challenge, 100 miles over 4 days! I grew up in the Cotswold’s and I think this would be a very personal and rewarding challenge.
6. What golden piece of advice would you give to other runners? Don’t give up! I’m not fast & don’t possess the natural running ability that other have, but I’m determined with my own personal goals and being part of Waverley Harriers has really helped me achieve these goals.
7. What’s next? I love to travel and it would be great to combine a run in some picturesque places around the World. If anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear about them.
Watch this space for the next release of our “On the spot” feature.